Thursday, July 12, 2012

#shereadstruth: Prayer -- Day 1

Prayer Day 1 Passage: Matthew 6:5-13 Verse that stands out: Mattherw 6:6: "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Tehn your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Thoughts: This verse has stood out to me for a long time. Perhaps it is the reason I feel uncomfortable praying aloud and hearing other people say long, drawn-out prayers aloud. If I pray out loud, it is usually only a couple sentences, short and to-the-point. As verse 8 says: "your Father knows what you need before you ask him." However, when I get into a deep, contemplative prayer, I also become more lengthy, if only in my head. I find these prayers so satisfying, going point by point, elaborating my requests for particular individuals or situations. If I do this at bed time, the peace I feel can even lead me to drift off before I've finished my prayer. :) I suppose it's like a lengthy conversation with a good friend. Isn't that how prayer is supposed to be? :)

No comments: